Accessible Page Links

Page Tools

Main page Content


Q. What is a vocational edu​cation and training (VET) subject?

A. When you study a VET subject, you receive training, and are assessed in workplace-specific skills and knowledge. Vocational education covers a range of industries including information technology, business, early childhood, retail, hospitality, fitness, animal studies, hairdressing.

Q. Which certificate courses does BrisbaneSDE offer?
A. BrisbaneSDE delivers 10 certificate courses: Certificate I in Business; Certificate II in Business; Certificate III in Business; Certificate I in Information, Digital Media and Technology; Certificate II in Information, Digital Media and Technology; Certificate II in Financial Services; Certificate III in Accounts Administration; Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care; Certificate I in Access to Vocational Pathways; Certificate II in Skills for Work and Vocational Pathways. (Note: Certificate IV in Justice Studies is no longer offered to new enrolments and will cease in Term 3 this year.) For more information go to Course Outlines.

Q. How can I find out more information on the certificate courses offered by BrisbaneSDE?
A. You can read the Course Outlines on the BrisbaneSDE website. All subjects offered by BrisbaneSDE are on this page, including the VET certificate courses.

Q. Where can I find information on studying a VET subject?
A. Go to the VET Orientation on the BrisbaneSDE website. You will be guided through 6 modules to increase your understanding of what it means to study a VET subject.

Q. What if I want to study a certificate which BrisbaneSDE doesn’t offer?
A. You can apply to study with an external training provider such as TAFE Queensland.

Q. How can I find out more information about studying with an external RTO?
A. Go to the Studying Externally​ on the BrisbaneSDE website for the latest information. You can contact Elena Simmons: or phone 37272682.

Q. Can I study more than one certificate course?
A. Yes you can. It is advisable to speak with the Guidance Officer, Senior Pathways or the Enrolment Team so you can choose appropriate certificates and combinations of certificates. Keep in mind that you can only bank QCE points from two Certificate I courses. So, if you study three Certificate I courses, you will receive all your certificates, but QCE points can only be banked for two of them.

Q. Can I earn QCE points studying a certificate?
A. Yes you can. Your teacher can provide you with the number of points and it is also located on the Course Outlines. If you would like to check other certificates, go to Student Connect on the QCAA website. Choose VETE course and type in the name of the certificate. If you don’t know the full name, type the industry e.g. Hospitality. A list of all hospitality courses appears. Select one and click on Add. The relevant QCE points will be given.

Q. Is there a cost to study a certificate course at BrisbaneSDE?
A. Yes, the cost is provided in the VET Student Handbook​ located on the BrisbaneSDE website. 

Q. How do I know how long I study my course for?
A. Each certificate course offered by BrisbaneSDE is studied for either one year or two years. Check the Course Outlines on the BrisbaneSDE website.

Q. Can I fast track my course?
A. Students are required to work to a work rate calendar to allow time to develop required skills and knowledge and for your assessor to have multiple opportunities to assess competency. Therefore, it is not possible to work ahead of the work rate calendar.  You can, however, apply for credit transfer if you have already achieved the unit of competency from another VET course (see below) and may then be able to be excused from completing some aspects of the training. Contact your teacher for more information.

Q. I have been asked to add my USI to my VET Agreement, what does that mean?
A. A Unique Student Identifier refers to an online account you create whereby your achievements in your certificate subjects are recorded. For more information, visit the USI page on the BrisbaneSDE website.

Q. Do I need to do work placement?
A. Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care, Certificate III in Accounts Administration and Certificate III in Business require unpaid work placement to be completed. For more information on work placement requirements, view the Course Outlines on the BrisbaneSDE website.

QWhere can I find an application form and more information on work placement? 
AYou can speak with your teacher in the first instance. You can also find information and an application form on the Work Experience link on the BrisbaneSDE website. You can also email Anna Kafouros, Administration Officer: who will provide you with more detailed information and arrange for paperwork to be completed.

Q. Can I complete work experience even if it’s not a requirement of the course?
A. Yes you can. There is information and an application form in the Work Experience​link on the BrisbaneSDE website. You will need to contact Anna Kafouros: for further information.

Q. Can I get lesson exemptions to attend work placement?
A. Yes you can. Anna Kafouros will organise this after your work experience paperwork is completed and you are ready to start. (See above.)

QCan I get lesson exemptions to work in my casual job?
A. No. If you have a casual job you must still attend lessons. No exemptions are given for casual paid work; they are only given for school-based work experience or school-based apprenticeships or traineeships.

Q. How many online lessons do I need to attend when I study a VET subject?
A. There are three lessons per week for each certificate, and it is mandatory to attend all three to allow you teacher opportunities to assess your knowledge and skills. Assessment is also completed online in class time.

Q. How do I submit work?
A. Blackboard is used for work submission. Work is not to be emailed to your teacher.

Q. If I'm going away on a holiday, am I required to attend lessons and submit work?
A. Yes. If you're going away for any length of time you are still required to submit work and attend lessons, if possible. If it is not possible for you to attend lessons while you are away you must request lesson exemptions for the period of your absence. However, you will still be required to view recordings and submit work. You may need to apply for assessment extensions if assessment is due while you are away. Make sure you make these arrangements well in advance - at least a week before your absence. The most important thing is to keep your teacher informed.

Q. How do I know when I have been successful in achieving my certificate?
A. Your teacher will keep you informed as you achieve each unit of competency. Also, you will be provided with an assessment profile where you can record each unit of competency as you achieve it.

Q. How long after the course is finished will I receive my certificate?
A. Your certificate will be posted to you once you have achieved competency in all the required units. This will usually be within 21 working days.

Q. If I have achieved a certificate at another school, can I use it at BrisbaneSDE?
A. It is always advisable to let your teacher know if you have studied a VET subject before, even if you are unsure if you have achieved any units of competency. Your teacher can always find out this information​; so please mention it, as you may be eligible for Credit Transfer. Credit transfer means you can substitute units of competency achieved elsewhere into the certificate you will be studying. This will mean less work for you!

Q. The place where I work want to know if I can be signed up to a school-based traineeship/apprenticeship. What does this mean?
A. A school-based traineeship or apprenticeship allows you to step into the world of work while you are still at school, complete units of competency towards a qualification, and get paid. There is a lot of information on the internet. Read through Apprenticeship info on the Queensland Government website, then contact Elena Simmons: or phone 37272682.

Q. I’d like to do a school-based traineeship/apprenticeship but I don’t know where to find one.
A. BrisbaneSDE adds vacancies to it's School-based apprenticeships and traineeships page on its website. There are many Group Training businesses who will employ you and then assign you to a host employer. Read about these: If you require further information, contact Elena Simmons: or phone 3727 2682.