Accessible Page Links

Page Tools

Main page Content

Resolving Issues of Concern

During the course of your children’s
school years, you may have cause to make a complaint about an issue with your child’s education.  
The Department of Education and Training is committed to ensuring that all complaints are dealt with in a fair and equitable manner. There are processes and support networks in place to enable you and your child to work through any issues or concerns you may have.
To achieve an effective resolution for all parties, when making your complaint, you should ensure you:
  • provide complete and factual information in a timely manner,
  • deliver your complaint in a calm and reasoned manner, and
  • avoid making frivolous or vexatious complaints, or using deliberately false or misleading information.
You should be aware that if you are making a complaint about a staff member that, in most instances, the staff member will be told of the complaint and offered the right of reply. You also have the right to have a support person participate throughout the process. 

The following four-step procedure is in place to assist parents/carers and school staff to reach an outcome that is in the best interest of the student.
  1. Discuss your complaint with the class teacher If your complaint is with your child's teacher or relates to an issue concerning your child's experience at school, make an appointment with that teacher as soon as possibleDiscuss your complaint with the teacher and give the teacher an opportunity to suggest a solution. The teacher will make a record of your complaint. Together, both you and your child's teacher should be able to resolve the problem at this level.
  2. Discuss your complaint with the Head of Department. If after approaching your child's teacher your complaint remains unresolved, contact the relevant  Head of Department to discuss the issue further.   You may request the assistance of  the relevant Deputy Principal or Principal. If your complaint relates to more general school matters, including issues of school policy and issues of compliance or non-compliance, you should raise your complaint directly with the Principal or their delegate. The Principal may refer your complaint to a delegate such as the Deputy Principal or Business Services Manager. The staff member will make a record of your complaint and work with you to come to a resolution. Complaints to the Principal may be lodged in person, by telephone, writing or via email.​  
  3. Contact your local education office.  If you have discussed your complaint with the Principal and still feel that you have not reached a resolution, you have the right to contact your local Department of Education and Training (DET) office. Complaints may be lodged online via their feedback formby telephone, or in writing. Your complaint should be specific in detail and outline the steps you have taken to resolve the issue. Ensure your complaint includes your full name and address and that you have signed and dated it. It is also a good idea to keep a copy for your own records.  Anonymous complaints will only be acted on if enough information has been provided to allow for follow-up with the relevant school Principal. When you contact your local education office a record will be made of your complaint. You will also be advised that your name and the nature of your complaint will be reported back to the Principal of your school. Local office staff will then work with you and your school to seek a resolution. Addresses and telephone numbers for the Department of Education and Training offices are listed in the White Pages of your local telephone directory and are also available through the Schools Directory - select the relevant school, then click on the email link.
  4. Independent review. If you have not been able to resolve your complaint through these formal processes, you can lodge your complaint with the Queensland Ombudsman.  The Ombudsman may be contacted at:
    Office of the Ombudsman, ​GPO Box 3314, Brisbane, Qld 4001
    Email: ​
    Telephone (07) 3005 7000 / Toll Free 1800 068 908 / Fax (07) 3005 7067

The role of Parents and Citizens’ Associations (P&Cs) 

Complaints about services that are run or managed by the P&C at your school, for example after school care or the tuckshop, should be directed to the P&C in the first instance.